for All Applicants
Depending on where you are, certain specific eligibility requirements are to be met.
• Prove that you will leave Canada to an officer on the expiry of your work permit.
• Show that you have adequate money for you and your family during your stay in Canada. You should also prove that you have enough money to return home.
• There is no record of criminal activity and you obey the law. A police clearance certificate may also be insisted.
• You should not be a danger to the security of Canada.
• Prove good health and undergo a medical examination if necessary.
• Should not work for an employer listed as ineligible for failing to comply with the conditions.
• Not work for an employer who offers erotic massages, escort service, erotic dance, or striptease on a regular basis.
• Provide any documents that the officer asks for as proof so that you can enter Canada.
for Applicants from Outside Canada
Anyone can apply for a work permit before they enter Canada. You do need to remember that depending on the country or territory you are applying from; you may have to fulfill visa requirements.
for Applicants from Inside Canada
You will be able to apply for a work permit from inside Canada if:
• You have a work permit or a valid study.
• Your parents, spouse or common-law partner have a work permit or valid study.
• You graduated at a program at a community college, Canadian university, publicly funded technical/trade school, CEGEP or other eligible schools.
• Temporary resident permit which is valid for six months or more are available with you.
• You have applied for permanent residence from inside Canada and waiting for a decision on the application.
• You will or already made a claim for refugee protection.
• You are recognized as a protected person or convention refugee by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.
• You are allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you will need it for a different job.
• You are a professional, intra-company transferee, investor or trader under NAFTA.
for Applicants Entering Canada at a Port of Entry (POE)
You can apply for a work permit when entering Canada if:
• You don’t need a visitor visa to enter Canada
• You are applying for an open work permit.
• The employer has completed all requisite formalities for employer-specific work permit.
You will need to undergo a medical examination before you come to Canada.